Can collection agency collect on a disputed claim?

I received a letter from collection agency about outstanding dental bill. The dental treatment was never completed because it was not authorized and perform in violation of the patient’s direct instructions. How should I do to resolve that matter?

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

eventually they will have to file a lawsuit to collect and you can then have a judge determine if you owe the money or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.