Can I be fired for not going to a doctor’s appointment made by my employer?

I worked for a temp agency for a factory a little under 3 minths got sent home for heat exhaustion. I came back the next day but still wasn’t feeling good so they sent me to medical. They told me they had made a doctor’s appointment for me at a hospital nearly an hour and a half away and that I had to go straight there. I went home to let my girlfriend know what was going on and we decided that I should see my PCP. I told my work that I did want to go to their doctor and they said that as long as I came back to work the next week with a doctor’s note saying that I was OK to work, it was all good. Well the next day they called me and told me that they were terminating me for not complying with their procedure. Can they legally let me go for this?

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a union agreement or employment contract, you were an "at will" worker which meant that you could have been terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of actionable discrimination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.