Employer’s bad rep preventing me from being hired, can I take action?

I am a worker in California in the Health/Medicine and Hospitality industry, providing massage therapy on my own as well as for a franchised spa that is part of an international spa franchise. I have been seeking a job for about 2 months, in the midst of which a controversy surrounding the spa company’s practices sprung up. Due to this controversy, I have been refused a job at least one office due to the controversy, and may be locked out of other jobs in the industry except at the spa’s locations, which I no longer want to do. Since I have been refused a job and may have been refused a job in the future due to having this company’s name on my resume, do I have any room for action? What type of lawyer should I talk to for this?

Asked on December 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have no grounds for legal action against your employer. You may only sue if someone violates a legal duty they have to you; however, an employer has *no* legal duty to maintain a good reputation for the benefit of its employees--they simply do not owe you this, and so you may not sue them or take any other legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.