Does my spouse have to sign a legal separation documentour separationto make legal?

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Not from what I have read.  In Oklahoma you can sue a party for divorce based upon a "fault" ground such as abandonment (for one year) or bring an action for legal separation as against another party.  You can bring the action fro separation on any of the causes of action or fault grounds as for divorce and obtain alimony.  The document that you are referring to I believe is for settlement of marital property and child support issues.  That has to be signed by the spouse to be effective as against them or the issues can be decided and ordered by the court.  Get legal help.  These matters are too big to deal with alone. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.