Does a promiseto paymoney in an email hold up in court?

I recently told my roommate I wanted to discontinue our living arrangement and offered to move out. She volunteered to move out if I paid her moving costs. I offered to refund her security deposit in full ($675) but later realized she never paid the security deposit in full – I did. Instead, I offered her a loan. She rejected and demanded $250. I told her via e-mail I’d write a $250 check when she moved out. The day she moved out, she locked my dog in a room without food or water for 6 hours and later threw a brick through my window. Am I legally bound to pay her $250 because of the e-mail?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Contracts are enforceable. A contract is formed any time there is evidence that an offer made by one person; accepted by another; and there was consideration--i.e. each person either gave, or promised to give, the other person something in exchange for the other person fulfilling his or her obligations. Contracts can be written or oral (verbal); if written, they can be

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.