Doctor Rip Off!

Hi,I went to a doctor for normal check up and she told me that she will take blood work. And she told me she will do the test in her office. After 2 weeks I recieved a bill from another hospital saying that i need to pay 100 dollars. I never went to that hospital. I called the doctor and she was telling me that they don’t have certain things in their office so they sent the sample there and i have to pay it. The doctor never told me that they are going to sent it some other hospital . Can they just send my blood sample to any lab they want to ? And what if the lab is not in network. Now when i called her to ask about this,she was yelling at me and telling me that she don’t care . Please tell me what to do now…so they can just get away with this?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Insurance Law, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can refuse to pay it if you did not know and did not authorize it. (Is it in the network?)  The problem is, if you don't pay it and you choose to dispute it, they will likely wind up sending it to a collection agency and it could effect your credit.  Once it is sent to a collection agency, however, these things are usually negotiable and they would likely take less money just to get rid of it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.