Do we have any recourse against the realtor if our home square footage was misrepresented?

My home had been advertised and was sold to us having 1800+ sq/ft. A/C space. We have discovered the actual footage is only 1540 sq/ft. Have our county property taxes been over-assessed due to this miscalculation? And do we have any case against the realtor for false advertising of the size of the home? I don’t believe the county would refund any overcharge, do we have any recourse against the realtor?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may wish to not only contact your office of the state attorney general but also your real estate commission and the entity who did your home inspection. If you did not have a home inspection or if that entity/person did not review square footage, who handled your home appraisal and title? Do you have title insurance? If you do, contact the commission who handled the real estate appraiser licensure and the insurance company who handled the title to your home. File something with your tax authority to indicate you are hereby demanding a reassessment and refund.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.