Is there any legal action we can take to make our neighbor cut his backyard and pick up crap?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any legal action we can take to make our neighbor cut his backyard and pick up crap?

For 6 years this neighbor has disregarded any maintenance of his property. I have made subtle hints and some not so subtle. I have sent letters and pictures to the HOA; their stance now is the problem is behind the fence therefore they cannot address it. I contacted the health department they can’t help. Finally, we put our house on the market for several months but then decided to pull after remarks from potential buyers and their realtor,

Asked on April 6, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There isn't really anything you can do, unless he is in violation of HOA rules, health code, or local building/zoning code (including any rules relating to property upkeep or aesthetics, if the local code has any--my town does) in some way; apart from that, the law does not mandate how property owners need to keep up their properties or how they must look. Look at the HOA rules yourself: if their is a rule requiring him to clean up, if necessary you can legal action (possibly against him directly, as you areo a beneficiary of the rule; and/or against the HOA to make them enforce their rules) based n it. Similarly, check your local code yourself (the town clerk can help you) to see if there are any ordinances being violated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption