do i need to hire an attorney if i found a dirty band-aid in my food?

I went to my local grocery store food deli and purchased some chicken tenders and after consuming some of the chicken I found a dirty Band-Aid in the bottom of the take out box.

Asked on April 29, 2016 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Were you injured by the band-aid? That is, did you suffer some serious physical injury or illness (not merely being disgusted) from the band-aid? Have you incurred large (several thousand dollars) of out of pocket medical costs? If the answers to these questions are "no," there's no point in getting a lawyer--you're not entitled to any money. The law does not provide compensation for what could have happened--only for what did. And the compensation you can get is related to the injury you suffered and costs you incurred. If you were not sickened and you did not incur large medical costs, you would not receive compensation in court (certainly not enough to justify suing: e.g. if you went to an emergency room and a $50 copay as your only cost, that's all you could get back), so there's no point in legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.