Do I have to repay an overpayment from a company that I resigned from?

I started a job and resigned by the second week because of previous medical issues. The company did not stop direct deposits on my checks and i received 2 or 3 paychecks extra. After almost 3 month the HR girl called and left a message asking me to call to set up a repayment. Do I have to repay that for their error?

Asked on September 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you must repay this amount just like your former employer would have to pay you for any wgaes that your were mistakenly shorted. To allow you to keep this money would amount to "unjust enrichment" since you did nothing to earn it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.