Do I have to pay a bill that is 2 years old and that is admittally the ER’s fault for a computer glitch?

I was seen in the ER 2 years ago. I was paying the bill up until last year. They just called and said the bill was unpaid but it was their error because they had a computer glitch that stopped sending me bills and said my account was in good standing. They now want me to pay the bill after 2 years of not receiving a bill from them, admittedly, their mistake. They said if I pay by the end of December they’ll take 50% off, should I try to not have to pay it or take them further down on their deduction.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been contacted by the hospital for a bill that you admittedly owe but have not been billed for a substantial amount of time due to the hospital's error, you are still obligated to pay the bill.

if the hospital is willing to discount the bill by 50% as to what is owed if paid by the end of the month I would take the hospital up on the offer to be confirmed in writing by you and the hospital where any payment would be deemed payment in full of the balance owed. I do suggest that you contact the hospital's accounts receivable and try to reduce the 50% offer even lower for a final payment in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.