Do I have a case if I am renting to purchase at a rent-a-center and have been wait now for almost 6 months for service requested and not recieving anything?

I am to the point where I would like my money back. I keep getting to run a round by this place. They keep saying for 6 months now that they will fix my furniture and hasn’t done it yet.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under General Practice, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the rent-a-center is violating any terms of the purchase agreement (for example, if the agreement obligates them to provide service or repairs) and/or is not providing you what you are paying for (such as if you are not getting usable furniture), that may be a breach of the agreement; if it is, it could provide a basis for you to terminate the agreement early, without penalty, and/or seek monetary compensation. If what you have received is at least partly usable, or if it was usuable for some number of weeks or months before breaking, you'd be unlikely to get all your money back--typically, when you received partial use or some benefit, you pay an amount commensurate with the benefit or use you did received. Also, bear in mind that if the center will not voluntarily honor its obligations, you will have to sue them to force the to do so or get compensation, so factor that cost and time in when deciding what to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.