What to do if a dealer charged me for a part that it did not install?

I took my car to a dealer collision shop for repair. The dealer charged me for a part that was not put on the car. After I told them I don’t think the part was replaced and them denying it they finally agreed and refunded me the money for the part the next day. Can I sue for any additional damages?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under General Practice, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you have been fully compensated by the refund that you received from the car dealership for the part that you were charged for but was not installed. You can sue, but you most likely will not recover anything.

If you want to make an administrative complaint against the car delaership, you could contact your local department of motor vehicles. Such entity fields and investigates consumer complaints against car dealerships.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.