Conditions to draw unemployment or other benefits

I’ll be relocating from Texas to Washington state to be near family. If I leave my current job in Texas, is there any benefits that may help me financially until I find employment in Washington state?

Asked on August 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there are not. There are, unfortunately, no benefits available for people who voluntarily leave their employment to be near family or for any other reason not related to unreasonable changes at work (e.g. if the job changed your posting or location, so you now had to commute 2 hours to work when previously you did not; that sort of change can allow you to quit and still collect unemployment compensation). For example, when you voluntarily quit or resign your job, your are ineligible for unemployment benefits. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.