Can your pay be cut without demotion and can you be transferred without prior knowledge or approval?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your pay be cut without demotion and can you be transferred without prior knowledge or approval?

I work was just transferred to another location with no warning or agreeing to it. And they are

talking of lowering my pay while I am still same position/title.

Asked on August 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Is your treatment due to some form of legally actionable retaliation or discrimination (i.e. race, religion, disability, age (over 40) or the like) or does it breach the terms of any existing union/collective bargaining agreement or employment contract? If not, then unfortunately it is perfectly legal to cut your pay and transfer you without any prior notice. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the terms of the workplace much as it sees fit. For your part, you can either accept the situation, complain but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption