complain against employer for not paying my salary

I am on H1b visa work permit visa and working in an IT company as a
programmer. Though the client pays on time to my employer , Its a challenge to
get my salary from the latter on time. Very negligent in responding to emails. I
sent tons of emails as reminders to send my June and July month salary which they
owe me. July monthend was the last I worked with them and I quit working with
them. I want to know how much would a lawyer expenses are to get this resolved.

Asked on October 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can either sue your ex-employer in court for any wages owed or you can file a wage complaint with the state's department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.