If I’ve signed a contract with my current attorney and he has filed a lawsuit on my but I’m disappointed with his work,can I change attorneys now?

I’m disappointed with his work.

Asked on January 25, 2019 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You can always change attorneys, but you'll still need to pay this one whatever the contract says he gets paid unless he breached or violated the contract in some way, or rendered services that would constitute malpractice because they are so negligent or careless (e.g. missed important deadlines; did not follow your instructions; omitted key facts which you provided him from the complaint; etc.). If you are merely disappointed, but his service was not so bad that you could potentially sue the attorney for either breach of contract or malpractice, then again, while you can change lawyers, you will still be contractually obligated to pay this first attorney the agreed upon amounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.