Can I force somebody to give me their homeowner’s insurance informtion?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force somebody to give me their homeowner’s insurance informtion?

I tripped on a public sidewalk, The person who is responsible for it had a hose across it. The hose was black and covered with a towel like mat, with 4 large rocks stacked on the corners to keep it in place. I tripped and broke my phone and injured my hip and neck. I asked the people if they would just pay for my phone screen but they said no. I asked if I could get their homeowner

Asked on January 25, 2019 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to force them to give you the information is in a lawsuit; in a lawsuit, there are mechanisms, called "discovery," to compel the other side to provide information and documentation relevant to the case, such as insurance information. So if you deem it worthwhile, you can sue them; but you can't make them voluntarily given you the information so you can present a claim without suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption