Carpet cleaners ruined my carpet in my apartment and now they won’t respond to me..

I looked on YELP and picked a carpet cleaner. They came and cleaned my carpet in my apt in LA. Soon after, there were huge white marks in the carpet, all over. I am calling them , but now they won’t respond. Please advice. Thanks

Asked on March 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them: that is how you get compensation for damage negligently (e.g. carelessly) done to your property. A good option would be to sue in small claims court, as your own attorney, which will minimize costs and get you into court faster. You will need to testify about and/or provide other evidence (e.g. photographs of the carpet before and/or after; invoice or bill to show when they did the work; etc.) the fact that the damage was done by them and prove to the court by a preponderance of the evidence (that it is more likely than not) that they are responsible. If you can do that, you can get a judgment in your favor requiring them to pay for the damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.