Can I move out of state with my child without their biological father’s permission?

My fiancee received orders to be stationed ii another state. There is currently no court order for custody between my son’s biological father and I.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Were you ever married to the father of your son?  If not and there is not legal orders between you and no order of paternity determination then you are the only legal guardian of your child and you can go where you please.  But I am never a fan of going behind the back of a parent who is actively involved with their child.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.