Can you sue someone for falsely accusing you of ruining their property?

Asked on December 22, 2010 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It depends...have  they made the accusation only to you, or to third parties (other people, that is; or in a public forum or media, such on their Facebook page or on a website). If only to you, there' is no liability to them...there is no law preventing someone from saying nasty or untrue things to you. However, if the person made a false factual statement (not a true statement, and not an opinion; must be a false statement of facts) to other people which would have the tendency to damage your reputation and/or cause others to not do business with you, then they may have committed defemation and you may have a cause of action which you could sue them for. If you think this is the case, you should discuss the matter with a personal injury attorney; good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.