Can we avoid paying for minor traffic violations and escape open cases by moving to another state?

My husband got numerous tickets before we met about 2-3 years ago. Most are for minor traffic violations but one was for a family member who assault his ex-girlfriend. We have plea deals available except for the assualt which is still an open case but we simply can’t afford to pay the tickets. His driver’s license is now expired with no option to renew. Since he works all over the gulf coast we started thinking about moving to another state. Will his past follow us across state lines?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you do not pay for the citations issued for minor traffic violations and move to another state, there will be accruing fines, possibly a bench warrant issued for your husband's arrest and when you try to register your vehicles in the other state or get a driver's license there, the citations will pop up making things difficult for you.

I suggest that you and your husband retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you in getting these old citations resolved so that you can move on with your lives.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.