Can my stepbrother help me with my legal status even though we have different last names?

When he got his green card he got it because his grandpa adopted him, so that is why he has a different last name but we have the same dad. He is now a citizen.

Asked on February 27, 2012 under Immigration Law, Wisconsin


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the requisitie family relationship between you and your brother exists, whereby he is eligible to petition for you (the last name is not what determines the eligibility), then he can petition for you if he is  US citizen.  The process takes about 10-12 years for nationals of most countries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.