Can my husband represent me in court for a case pertaining to a lease agreement?

I may have to appear in court very soon to settle a dispute with my landlord and 2 roommates. In the middle of this lease agreement I was married. My husband was not on the lease and I moved out. I was told that since we got married that he inherits my past debt and any other debt moving forward. I understand this to mean that if there were judgment made against me that my husband would be held just as responsible as myself to pay this debt. My question is in 2 parts. First is the above statement accurate? And second if he is held legally obligated on this debt can he then represent me in court? My reasoning being that if the debt were to become his own that he would in effect be defending himself as well.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Well first of all if there is a judgement rendered agaist you only then the creditor can not collect fro your husband.  However, understand that joint assets can be effected like a levy on a joint bank account, joint tax return, etc., so it does in reality effect him too.  Can he represent you? Yes, if you give him permission and that will depend what the court wants: a letter, Power of Attorney, etc.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.