Can my employer force me to perform volunteer work after normal work hours?

My employer mandated a thirty hour community service, and while in the performance of his/her directive I was involved in a vehicle accident city vehicle with a citizen. I was later informed that I was not work in the scope of my duty assignment.

Asked on May 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an employer can force their employees to volunteer after normal work hours. Further, if an employee fails to comply with such a mandate, they can be terminated (in fact they can be discharged for this reason, any reason or no reason at all). This called "at will" employment. In such a work arrangement, a company can set the conditons of the workplace much as it sees fit. This is true unless such an action violates the terms of company policy, an employment contract or union agreement. Also, it must not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination.
That having been said, if the employee is exempt they are not entitled to additional compansatrion, however if they are non-exempt they are entitled to be paid for thier volunteer time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.