Can my employer fire you without a warning

Can my employer fire you without a warning , i work this for McDonald’s for 4
years never have warning to get fire ,

lot Mexican people was discriminate , cause i am whit and never like always put
me down , and when you tell the boss the problem ,i always say you don t speak
Hispanic , i was think we only English in united of America .

he just tell me , he was done whit me , like i never have any right !!
he never give me any without a warning

Asked on April 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Most employment is known as "at will". This means that an employer can set the terms of work much as it sees fit. This includes firing an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. Therefore, your employer's action was legal unless it constitued some form of legally actionable discrimination, or violated company policy or the terms of a union agreement or employment contract.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract which requires notice or warning before termination, or requires the employer to follow some particular procedure before terminating you, you may be terminated at any time, without any prior warning or notice. Without a contract, employment is "employment at will," and an employee at will may be terminated whenever the employer wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.