Being sick under doctor care,

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Being sick under doctor care,

I would like to know if I am sick and under md care for 2 weeks and my boss, the
receptionist knew about my illness. Is there a law saying that I have to answer
my telephone and keep in touch with my employeer regarding my illness. If someone
from my employment have already check with my md to see when will I return to
work. When I am cleared to return to work from being ill I am suspended for 3
days after returning

Asked on April 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no  law, but your employer is free to require this: employers may set the terms and conditions on the use of sick days (or of otherwise being out for illness) and can require employees to do things to verify that they are actually ill (e.g. doctor's notes; answer their telephone, to show they are not vacationing, etc.); employers may also generally require employees to stay in at least some contact while out for any reason (e.g. to answer quick questions about the jobs or projects). So while there is no law requiring this, your employer could legally choose to require it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption