Can my employer dock pay for forgetting to clock in/out?

I work at a spa and everyone received a letter saying that ,

Asked on February 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF you truly are an independent contractor, limitations on pay such as you describe would in theory be legal, since the compensation for an independent contractor is whatever the contractor and business employing her services agree or contract to.
But what you describe would not be legal for an employee, since if time is taken into account, they are hourly, and if hourly must be paid for ALL time worked and cannot be docked for additional time. So if you are hourly and your shift starts at 9 and you show up at 8:57, you are paid for 3 minutes more, not 7 less.
d on what you write, you are very likely an employee, and if an employee, again, must be paid for all time worked; must be paid minimum wage; must be paid overtime if more than 40 hours worked in a week; must have taxes withheld; etc. The reason you are most likely an employee us the degree of control and supervision the employer exercises over you is not consistent with contractor status, but only with being an employee; and if an employee, the employer may be doing a number of things wrong. It would worthwhile for you to speak to your state department of labor to discuss your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.