Can my employer change my pay day with no notice? Also, can they hold a week back with no notice after working there for many years until my employment with them ends?

I have worked at a restaurant in Ohio for 9 years. All of a sudden with no notice, they told us our payday was changing and only paid us 1 week instead of 2. They stated the other week was going to be on hold until we receive our last paycheck with the company if/when the employment ends. This was also with no notice. Can they do this?

Asked on January 24, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Can your employer change the pay day? Yes--it is not set in stone or by law, but is subject to when the employer sets it. 
But they *can't* hold your paycheck indefinitely--e.g. to the end of your employment. It has to be paid on the first payday under the new schedule. For example: they were paying you every two weeks previously, but are now paying you twice a month (which is not the same thing), on the 15th and last day of each month. Say that as a result, a check you would previously have gotten 1/26 is now deferred until 1/31--that's fine, but you must then get that check on the 31st. They employer has NO legal right to hold your check for, potentially, years. If they will not provide it shortly, contact the department of labor to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.