Can I use a voice recorder to record my disputes with my co-worker in a nursing home setting?

I have a co-worker who has gone out of her way on several occasions to verbally attack me – making threats, checking up on my work, telling me that I am terrible at my job, insulting me, etc. I am not the only one to report her for this kind of behavior. My bosses refuse to do anything about her behavior because she’s very good at defending herself but they underestimate how bad the situation really is. Would it be illegal to record her conversations with me, without her knowledge, as long as I am not recording resident/patient voices?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Colorado is a "one party consent" state, which means that if one party to a conversation (i.e. you) agree or consent to record the conversation (which you presumably do, if you are recording it) then it is legal to record it and you do not need to warn the other person that you are doing so. So you may record and use the conversation, though that may or may not help you--it is legal for one employee to insult another, and employers are not required to take action to stop it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.