Can my landlord put me out with no notice?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord put me out with no notice?

My landlord owns the home in a residential area and rents out 2 rooms. I’m behind on the rent and willing to leave. However I need a few days to find another place. He wants to put my belongings out today. It is not a legal apartment.

Asked on August 20, 2011 Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

All states in this country require written notice to the tenant from the landlord to terminate any lease. A landlord cannot use self help to evict a tenant by putting his or her belongings out of one's unit and changing the locks to it. If he or she does, such conduct is illegal and the landlord could be facing serious consequences from a civil standpoint.

If the apartment you are renting is not a legal unit, then most likely the landlord is not allowed to even rent it out for human occupancy. The rationale is that any rent you are paying might be too much for the illegal unit.

If the landlord physically locks you out of the apartment you are renting where your belongings are placed outside your unit without proper notice required by state law, you should consult a lawyer with landlord tenant experience immediately.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption