Can I press charges againstaperson who is harassing me?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I press charges againstaperson who is harassing me?

This is my second year living on campus at the university I attend, and I am having difficulties with a fellow student who also lives on campus. He is a 19 year old male who drinks heavily and does different drugs. When he drinks and uses substances he becomes violent. The first time I met him he was drinking and bragging about how he pushed his roommate down a flight of stairs. I recently went to hang out with friends and he was there and when I walked up, he began to yell about how I slept with a guy and drunkenly discussing details of my personal life with his own twists and insults.

Asked on August 28, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  If the occurrences continue I would consult with an attorney.  You may instead want to pursue a restraining order against him but it sounds as if it were a one time event (I am not trying to minimize it at all, believe me).  Now, what you do need to do is to go through the process at the university to report what has happened and to report what he stated he did to his roommate.  You need to exhaust the legal process within the university and make them aware of what is going on.  Then if they do nothing and it continues you have the documentation to back you up.  Make sure that you insist on filling out reports, get copies, take names and report it to guidance as well.  Send letters by certified mail and e-mails.  Make yourself a case file.  Then see what happens.  And pleaes make your parents aware of the situation as well.  Stay clear of him best you can and always surround yourself with people should you think you are going to encounter him.  There is strength in numbers and it better to be prepared.  Stay safe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption