What to do if I’ve been with my company and getting paid $7.50 per hour but the new hires at the same level are getting $8.00 an hour?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’ve been with my company and getting paid $7.50 per hour but the new hires at the same level are getting $8.00 an hour?

My friend mentioned that this could be a form of discrimination or illegal somehow. I think it’s just that the company needed a higher pay for new hires as incentive. In return, they are cutting back the hours of the faithful long-term employees hours many of us are going from 30 hours a week to under 15 hours and giving them to the new higher-paid employees. Is there anything I can do with this besides demanding higher pay and/or quitting?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, employees are employed at the will of the employer unless there is a written agreement to the contrary. From what you have written, it seems that your employer is on a process of eliminating the longer tenured employees.

To answer your question, if you want a pay increase, you need to ask for it. I suggest that from what you have written that you might consider looking for another position elsewhere if you do not get the pay increase you want if an increased hourly rate is not negotiable from your standpoint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption