Can I sue my landlord for not evicting my neighbor?

I live in an apartment and I had an issue with the woman next door. The police were called and charges are being pressed. She had threatened me and then sent her daughter over to act on the threat. Her daughter also threatened to cause harm to everyone in my household. My landlord is not responding the way i feel he should. My neighbors told him that it was a simple misunderstanding. Clearly because she was the one in the wrong. Can I sue him for not evicting her?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest obtaining a restraining order against the neighbors who threatned you. Then present this restraining order to your landlord for improperly acting.  If your landlord still does not act, you can sue the landlord and you can also sue the neighbors if they don't move. Bottom line, you need to mitigate harm to yourself and if you can show the judge what efforts you took to do so, it would look better for you.  Put all communications in writing, If you speak with the landlord, follow it up with a letter reiterating the conversation that took place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.