Can I sue my former employee for mistreating and abusing me?

My last company mistreated me badly and took advantage of me. So I used their company credit card for personal use because I thought that if they are taking advantage of me I at least deserve that. I have left the company and they want me to pay for those personal charges and I refused to do that so they threatened to sue me. I know that 80% of the employees in this company are illegal aliens and that they do not pay taxes for merchandise coming from overseas. Can I blow the whistle on them? What should I do ?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you first consult with a labor attorney about the situation that you have written about before you make any complaint against your former employer with the department of labor. My concern about your question is that you seemingly admit making improper charges on the company's credit card. Starting something with your former employer can possibly result in a negative result for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.