Can I sue my ex-wife for adultery?

We divorced because she was unfaithful repeated throughout our marriage. I had no physical evidence of it except in person verbal confessions. I now have proof in the form of text messages from her admitting to cheating on me with her manager. It is however not specific as to time but it was 3 months after we were married. We were married for 3 years where I supported her and her education. Is there anyway I can sue her for anything. We also have a common debt, she has student loans I co-signed on that she has refuse to pay; I co-signed with the belief that she was faithful in our marriage.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  You can not sue your wife for adultery outside using it as a grounds for divorce.  And it appears that you have already gotten divorced.  The other issues - of the debt - should have been addressd when you were divorced and I would speak with your lawyer about the matter as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.