Can I sue a job for not letting me know about a drug test prior to hire?

I was never informed about having to take a drug test at all before I was hired and the day I started training, they gave me a drug test paper to take to my doctor that same day. If I would have known prior to being employed I would have requested more time or would have turned down the job knowing that I wasn’t going to be able to pass it due to THC remaining in my system from a month before. Now I am likely

to be fired because they aren’t giving me allotted time for the THC to leave my body so I may properly take a drug test and pass. Is this legal? I was perfectly fine at my job before this one and I gave my 2 weeks properly then left to then be put into a position where I am going to be out of a job because I wasn’t given proper information regarding the pre-employment requirements in writing nor verbally.

Asked on August 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An employer is under no legal mandate to disclose compulsory drug testing. Accordingly, unless such a policy violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement or consititutes some form of actionable discrimination, it is perfectly permissable under the law. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.