Can I run a small business in a residential neighborhood

Can I run a small business (landscaping) out of a property that I own but do not live in. It is surrounded by commercial properties, but is zoned SF2.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your business isn't a permitted use in the SF2 district, the answer is, you can't do it right now.  But if your business is comparable to the other commercial uses surrounding it, you may be able to get permission;  in many states, this is called a zoning variance.

I'm not a Texas attorney, and the law and procedure differ from one state to another.  You should have a lawyer in your area review the zoning regulations, and all of the facts, for reliable advice about what to do next.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.