Two investment properties – vacant lots secured with variable rate loan. Income declined but can’t sell. Want to modify.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Two investment properties – vacant lots secured with variable rate loan. Income declined but can’t sell. Want to modify.

Bought two lots near water five years ago with a loan package set up by realator and local bank. Market crashed, value tanked. Realator no longer in business and bank no longer even offers the same type of instrument (2y interest only, then 15y variable rate.) Have tried to sell for almost two years, household income down, if the rate adjusts up again I may not be able to keep up. Still current on everything today. Just want to lock or modify.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this ara of the law.  Have you tried to refinance with another lender?  I suggest hiring a mortgage broken to find out whether you can refinance to pay off the existing loan and then have a new loan that is fixed for 30 years.  if the property does not appraise out for the amount of the loan, then you can try to do a short sale to get rid of the property if you cannot afford the payments in the near future.  I suggest trying to talk to the bank about doing a loan modification as well to help.  this will lower the interest rate and permit you to keep the property. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption