Can I remove septic lines on my property from adjoining property?

I do not know locations or details only that the neighbor has leach lines running on my property. They have no recorded septic with county health; the septic is not registered, inspected or approved. Additionally, they have no easements of record. The owner told me he discharges his grey water on my property separately from the septic. I do not want this on my property. I bought place a year ago and just found this out. I have title insurance and none of this was disclosed. No record of this easement was ever disclosed as shown by my title search. Can I remove any lines I find while I am doing landscaping or such? neighbor hostile and expects to continue.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please get an attorney as soon as you can.  The neighbor is going to claim that there is an easement either aquired by agreement, or through adverse circumstances.  You need to being an action to quiet title or for trespass and report the issue to the necessary authorities asap.  The relationship is already sour.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.