Can I move out of my house legally at the age of 17 without parental consent?

As long as I finish school, have a safe place to stay and get a job?

Asked on July 16, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't move out of you parents' home if you are only 17; you must be 18 to legally do so. Until then, your parents will continue to be legally responsible for you. In fact, they can have the police bring you back as a runaway if you leave without their permission. 

If you want to move out before then, you will need to become what is known as  "emancipated". What you'll have to do is go to court and convince a judgeto legally separate you from your parents. If ysuccessful, you will be emancipated which menas being able to move out but also assuming most of the responsibilities of an adult. However, you would need to prove to the court that you can support yourself and have an acceptable place to live.

That all having been said, this process takes time and some money, so�you�may just want to wait it out until your birthday.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.