How do I find the contents of my recently deceased mother’s Will?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find the contents of my recently deceased mother’s Will?

I went to the courthouse in my town and was told that it does not file Will’s. I am unable to contact and/or speak with my father or sister and I don’t know who my mother’s attorney was. I can’t afford to hire an attorney to assist and I don’t qualify for free legal aide in my town.

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I think that you went to the Probate Court probably before the Will was offered for probate.  I think you were looking to see if the Will was filed when it was made. It is true that most states do not accept a Will for filing pre-death of the Testator.  You have to wait until the Petition is filed.  You will be receiving a a copy of the WIll when the Will is offered for Probate (filed) because you are an heir at law (some one who would benefit had there been no Will). If you do not keep checking the court. If legal paers are mailed to you please consider a flat rate fee for a consultation to an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption