Can I move from my parent’s house to my grandma’s house at the age of 13?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Not unless your parent's consent or your grandmother makes an application to the court for temporary guardianship.  Listen, things can be tough at 13 with parents under the best of situations.  If the situation is abusive please get help asap. If it is just heating up because you are growing up and your parents are not growing as fast with you, that is normal.  You think of yourself as big; they think of you as little.  It gets better.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.