Can I lose custody of my children for dating a convicted felon?

A lot of his charges are from when he was a minor, all are more than 10 years old, and none involving children or sexual crimes. He has DUI, weapons of mass destruction (setting off pipe bombs in a field when he was 17), bad checks, driving without a license, a battery charge, an escape, and I believe that’s it. He was in prison for 10 years, has been out for almost 3 years and hasn’t had a single issue since he’s been out. He works full time, doesn’t drink or do drugs and pays child support. I just wonder how and if this affect my children if I were to have a full blown serious relationship with him. I fully trust him around my kids, myself, but I know how this can look to others.

Asked on July 1, 2015 under Family Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the non-custodial parents wants to make a stink then he may have good grounds to do so.  Who you date is not an issue.  WHo you let your kids around is an issue.  I would be caustious/  It sounds as if he has tried to redeem himself but for now I would be cautious.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.