Can I get out of my lease because of roommates that are doing drugs?

I moved into a house with 6 other people and I found out that they are doing drugs. I brought this to the attention of my landlord because I do not want to live in a dangerous environment and she told me I could not get out of the lease because she can’t afford for me to leave; she needs the money.

Asked on October 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are allowed to end your lease with your landlord depends upon whether or not you are leasing a room in the unit or are leasing the entire house. If you are leasing only a room, potentially you might be able to end your lease due to the conduct of your roommates.

In order to determine this, you need to carefully read your presumed written lease in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord an vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

I would also set forth a written paper trail to your landlord about the drug use at your rental by your roommates keeping a copy of the letters for future need.

If you are on a month-to-month lease, I would send a notice to your landlord advising her that you are ending your lease.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.