Whatt o do if I recently quit my job and saw that my pay was reduced on my last check without my knowledge?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatt o do if I recently quit my job and saw that my pay was reduced on my last check without my knowledge?

It was reduced to the pay I started with when I first got the job. I don’t feel like this is fair at all. I’ve already emailed the owner but if they refuse to give me the pay we agreed on when I got a raise, should I take legal action?

Asked on April 9, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your last check should be paid at the same rate your were earning at the time you quit or resigned employment. If your employer will  not pay you at that rate, you may sue the employer for the difference in pay. However, lawsuits have their own costs; therefore you should consider bringing your action in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, to save on expense--and even then, depending on how much is at stake, it may not be worthwhile.  If  you  do go ahead, you'd need to prove what your salary or wages were at the time of resignation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption