Can I get in big trouble with the law for a mistake I made as a cashier?

I’m a cashier at a grocery store. A person comes to my register and claims he is a manager from another store and that he soon will transfer to my store. And that he was gonna do an audit on me. So he has a gift card and asked for $240 on it and to cash it out and I did even though I didn’t receive money for it. I did what I was told because I believed he was a manager and he knew my store policies. I heard he did it before at my store with anothercashier but I was not informed about it which could of prevented my incident. Anyway, how much trouble can I get in for this?

Asked on September 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You can, of course, be fired "for cause"--for doing something negligent or careless which cost your employer money. That would mean you could not get unemployment benefits.
2) You are liable or responsible for the money, since you were careless or negligent in doing this. If you don't voluntarily repay, they could sue you for the money.
3) If the employer believes you knowingly helped him get money from the store when he was not entitled to it, they could look to press charges against you as an accomplice to theft.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.