Can I file a special warranty deed for 50% interest of my home?

In my divorce I got 1/2 the interest to our residence, a small house that my ex-husband’s parents gave him when we were first married. They did not put my name on it; there is no mortgage on this small house. In the divorce, my husband failed to respond to the summons and defaulted. I did not file a special warranty deed. Now my ex-husband has died; can I still file a special warranty deed?

Asked on June 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Rather than filing a special warranty deed with resoect to the home that you received an interest in during the marital dissolution that you went through, all you need to do is record a certified copy of the court order and judgment on the home with respect to the default.

Before you do such, I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney and have him or her review the default that you have written about. If you believe a special warranty deed will place title of the home in your name, the default judgment with respect to it should.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.