Can I file a lawsuit against my gf sister for not getting her tint fixed after I got a ticket in her car for it

I got pulled over in my gf truck for her having dark
tint I was told it was legal. So I was fine with driving
the truck it one day left for to fix it and she hasn’t
fixed it and I don’t wanna lose my license cause of it
I’m on points probation in tell I’m 21 please contact
me asap 3852059716

Asked on September 20, 2016 under General Practice, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue her for this because you can't sue someone else for your choices or actions--and it's your choice to drive her car, with the tint. If youd do not drive her tinted-window car, you can't be ticketed for it; and even if her car is very convenient for you to drive, you are not forced to drive it--you could obviously refuse to do so. So driving an illegally tinted car is your choice, and you cannot sue for the consequences of your own choices.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.