CanI be forced to leave my full-time job and go part-time due to my school schedule?

I have been working for 6 months for a company. Originally they wanted to hire me part-time but then gave me full-time they knew I go to school. Recently my clinical times changed and interfere with one of my work day, a co-worker and I switched schedules. However, I ended up with a few hours overtime and they don’t want to offer that to me again. They said that I have to drop to 3 days so they can hire another part time employee. Do I have to be forced into this?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be forced to go to a part time schedule, since you cannot force your employer to accomodate your schedule or provide you overtime if they don't want to. The law does not require employers to work around employee's schedules; an employer would be free, for example, to schedule an employee for whenever it wants, and then fire him/her if the employee can't make it. So in this case, since they could terminate you entirely if they wanted, they could equally offer you a different or shorter schedule.

Note that if you have an employment contract which sets forth or guarantees your hours, that contract would be enforceable--the above applies in the absence of a contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.